A Few Kidney Facts
1. The kidneys have a higher blood flow than even the brain, liver or heart.
2. The kidneys reabsorb and redistribute 99% of the blood volume and only 0.1% of the blood filtered becomes urine.
3. Kidney stones are an accumulation of mineral salts and mostly combined with calcium which can lodge anywhere along the course of the urinary tract.
4. Refined carbohydrates and sugar help the body make kidney stones.
5. Sugar will stimulate the pancreas to release insulin. This causes extra calcium to be excreted in the urine… alas, kidney stones.
6. An excess of milk or antacids may cause kidney stones.
7. Each kidney is about 4 ½ inches long.
8. Each kidney weighs approximately 4 to 6 ounces.
9. The kidneys of a newborn baby are about 3X larger in proportion to body weight as in the adult.
10. The volume of urine excreted daily varies from 1000 to 2000 ml (averaging 1500 ml). 1000 ml (millileters) = 1 liter.
Posted on infosnack.