Monday, June 11, 2007

Unusual Medical News: A Fatal Overdose of Bengay; A Patient Bleeds Green Blood

Two medical cases in the news recently caught my eye.

In the first, tragic case, a 17 year old track star from Staten Island was found dead. The detectives who found her noticed a faint minty smell. Laboratory tests eventually revealed a fatal overdose of methyl salicylate, also known as oil of wintergreen, the active ingredient in Bengay. (The teenagers blood reportedly had six times the safe level of methyl salicylate.) Apparently, she had been applying more than the recommended amount of Ultra Strength Bengay to relieve her muscular pain from training....

Full post at Tech Medicine.

No comments: